The Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range
“We want the Titfield Thunderbolt!” – Rapido Trains UK launches range of The Titfield Thunderbolt models with FIVE new 1:76 scale models fully licensed by STUDIOCANAL.
Rapido Trains UK is delighted to reveal a range of models inspired by The Titfield Thunderbolt that will be available in time to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the film’s release in 2023. These will be the most accurate The Titfield Thunderbolt models ever produced and are being developed with full co-operation of STUDIOCANAL, which owns the rights to this seminal railway film.
The Titfield Thunderbolt tells the story of group of villagers determined to save their branch line after British Railways announces its closure. When a rival bus company sabotages the newly acquired train prior to an official inspection, the villagers resurrect the line’s first locomotive, Thunderbolt, and, against great odds, obtain permission to keep their line open.
The story was inspired by the group of enthusiasts, led by Tom Rolt, who took over the 2ft 3in gauge Talyllyn Railway in 1951 and thus kick-started the railway preservation movement. The film was the first of Ealing Studios’ famous ‘Ealing comedies’ to be filmed in colour and it was released in March 1953.
We will produce five new ‘OO’ gauge models:
- Thunderbolt, aka Liverpool & Manchester Railway 0-4-2 Lion
- The Buffet Car, aka Great Eastern Railway Diagram 603 No. 8
- No. W68740, GWR Diagram AA20 ‘Toad’ brakevan
- ‘Dan’s House’, aka GWR ‘Loriot Y’ No. 41989 with fictitious Victorian coach body
- Pearce & Crump’s coach GAM338, aka Bedford OB with Duple Vista body
Our Titfield models will be available in three packs:
- Pack 1 (SKU922001) is a deluxe pack, containing sound-fitted Thunderbolt, Dan’s House and Loriot with W67840 plus 4mm:1ft scale figures and commemorative booklet.
- Pack 2 (SKU922002) is a standard pack, containing Thunderbolt, ‘Dan’s House’ and Loriot Y with No. W68740.
- Pack 3 (SKU922003) contains the Buffet Car and No. W68740, plus 4mm:1ft scale figures.
- The Bedford OB will be available as a standalone model in full Pearce & Crump livery (SKU920001).
Work is well underway with Lion, Loriot Y and ‘Dan’s House’ at an advanced stage of development.
All models will be in stock by March 6 2023, the 70th anniversary of the film’s release, although it is expected that some models will be available during 2022.
All models, including film and non-film versions will be available direct from Rapido Trains UK or through Rapido Trains UK stockists.
Identities and guises for non-Titfield models – as well as prices for all models – are still to be confirmed.