“We want the Titfield Thunderbolt!” – Rapido Trains UK launches range of The Titfield Thunderbolt models with FIVE new 1:76 scale models fully licensed by STUDIOCANAL.
Rapido Trains UK is delighted to reveal a range of models inspired by The Titfield Thunderbolt that will be available in time to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the film’s release in 2023. These will be the most accurate The Titfield Thunderbolt models ever produced and are being developed with full co-operation of STUDIOCANAL, which owns the rights to this seminal railway film.
The Titfield Thunderbolt tells the story of group of villagers determined to save their branch line after British Railways announces its closure. When a rival bus company sabotages the newly acquired train prior to an official inspection, the villagers resurrect the line’s first locomotive, Thunderbolt, and, against great odds, obtain permission to keep their line open.
The story was inspired by the group of enthusiasts, led by Tom Rolt, who took over the 2ft 3in gauge Talyllyn Railway in 1951 and thus kick-started the railway preservation movement. The film was the first of Ealing Studios’ famous ‘Ealing comedies’ to be filmed in colour and it was released in March 1953.
We will produce five new ‘OO’ gauge models:
- Thunderbolt, aka Liverpool & Manchester Railway 0-4-2 Lion
- The Buffet Car, aka Great Eastern Railway Diagram 603 No. 8
- No. W68740, GWR Diagram AA20 ‘Toad’ brakevan
- ‘Dan’s House’, aka GWR ‘Loriot Y’ No. 41989 with fictitious Victorian coach body
- Pearce & Crump’s coach GAM338, aka Bedford OB with Duple Vista body
Our Titfield models will be available in three packs:
- Pack 1 (SKU922001) is a deluxe pack, containing sound-fitted Thunderbolt, Dan’s House and Loriot with W67840 and commemorative booklet.
- Pack 2 (SKU922002) is a standard pack, containing Thunderbolt, ‘Dan’s House’ and Loriot Y with No. W68740.
- Pack 3 (SKU922003) contains the Buffet Car.
- The Bedford OB will be available as a standalone model in full Pearce & Crump livery (SKU920001).
The villagers of Titfield have triumphed and their train can continue to run, surely they should acquire some suitable rolling stock?
Thunderbolt needs coal, Pearce & Crump have broken vehicles to take away, and Messrs. Valentine and Taylor require the occasional top-up.
To answer this, we are delighted to announce a triple-pack of Titfield-inspired wagons:
‘Iron Mink’ van in Valentine & Taylor Wines & Spirits livery.
(Always marshalled first in the train, this ex-GWR ‘Iron Mink’ van carries the necessary liquid refreshments required for the buffet car.)
1907 five-plank open wagon in Pearce & Crump livery.
(Ex-cons Pearce & Crump have finally given in and are using the railway for their scrap business, collecting smashed and broken hulks for breaking-up.)
1907 seven-plank open wagon in Titfield Coal Company livery.
(To satisfy the demands of Thunderbolt’s firebox, the nearby Dunkerford Colliery is re-opened, making the Titfield line self-sufficient for many years to come.)
This new pack is fully endorsed by STUDIOCANAL, which owns the rights to The Titfield Thunderbolt.
The order book closes on May 26th, so get your pre-orders in now!
- Pack 4 (SKU922004) “Inspired by Titfield” wagon pack.
Pre-order your model now by clicking on the item below:
“THE TITFIELD THUNDERBOLT™ is a trade mark of Studiocanal Films Ltd. and is used under licence from Studiocanal Films Ltd.”