One of the classic Great Western Railway branch trains was a pair of non-corridor Brake Composites coupled together, being hauled by a ‘Small Prairie’ 2-6-2T. These coaches – known as ‘B-sets’ – could often be found on suburban and branch line duties in the West of England.
The first iteration of ‘B-set’ coaches was delivered in 1924 under diagram E116. However, it wasn’t until 1930 when the largest diagram – E140 – were delivered. These vehicles each sported a guard’s compartment, a single First Class compartment and five Third Class compartments. The coaches were close coupled in a fixed formation with the brake compartments on the outer ends.
These coaches were longer and wider than previous designs and necessitated recessed door handles and Guards doors. They ran on 7ft wheelbase bogies whilst later versions – the diagram E145 – used larger 9ft bogies. A total of 41 Dia. E140 sets of coaches were built.
Primarily allocated to the Bristol Division, Dia. 140s could be found further afield, from Cardiff and Taunton to Birmingham and Worcester… not to mention those classic Cornish branch lines so beloved by modellers! As many of these coaches ran specific routes, they often received set markings for the location on the ends adjacent to the brake compartments.
Our all-new Dia. E140 has been produced from the original works drawings. The models feature the usual level or Rapido detail inside and out including working lighting, etched luggage racks, correct details in First and Third and Guard’s compartments alongside complete underbody detail.
Order your model now by clicking on the item below: